The Waverly, developed by Culpeper’s Hill loved ones, was a Greek Revival constructing with Tuscan brackets. The educate handed in 50 feet of the lodge with prepare vacationers halting for eating and lodging. Union troops occupied the put during the Civil War. The resort slumped in the 1870s as trains from Alexandria passed it by, pausing in Gordonsville instead for their breakfast check out, according to Scheel.
By the early 1880s, the 20-moment breakfast grew to become a Waverly fixture under the management of Capt. Henry Clay Bowie. His son, Aubrey, would trip a northbound train and many stations out of Culpeper would re-board the southbound educate to just take food orders from travellers. When the educate arrived at the Waverly, he would operate into the kitchen area to assure fast services.
“If a passenger didn’t want to go away the train or if he ended up Black, Aubrey introduced on a basket of sandwiches, pot of espresso and tin cups,” Scheel wrote.
From 1895 until finally the 19-teenagers, 10 day by day trains commonly passed through Culpeper and 4 stopped.
When Southern Railway double tracked in 1903, it introduced a substantial contingent of Black laborers from Alabama. A smallpox epidemic hit their camp outdoors of city. Community newspapers performed it down, but so many died they ended up buried in a mass grave, Scheel wrote.
Under the administration of J.M. and Ella Browning Fraley, the Waverly prospered right after the transform of the century even while by 1913 only northbound trains stopped there for foods. The hotel included sinks in all rooms in 1915 and some personal baths.